Wed Nov 14: Building Easy Web Pages
- The "Billtown Web system" involves registering a domain name with either GoDaddy.com or 1and1.com , at a cost of about $10 to $15 per year.
- The web page itself is typically built using a "Google Blog" -- which allows FREE hosting backed by the financial stability of Google, plus fairly easy editing capability.
- Please view the "Examples" page, to see how these look.
- You can find many OTHER people (see the "Other Web Page Builders" page) that will build you FANCIER web pages -- using XHTML, CSS, PHP, Wordpress templates, Drupal content management systems, and all that other complicated stuff -- for no more money than we charge.
- And this is fine.
The advantages we see of using this Blogger system are:
- 1. You don't have to worry about paying a recurring web hosting fee every year, since Google/Blogger generously allows free hosting.
- 2. Once you get familiar with the Blogger system, then you can use it YOURSELF, to build MORE websites at no-cost or low-cost for yourself or your friends.
- 3. You can add and remove "administrators" that can edit the website.
- 4. You can add and remove "authors" that can edit only one or two or three specified pages with no privileges to edit the rest of the website, which "protects" an inexperienced editor from accidently damaging the website.
- 5. It's part of Google, and thus financially "sound". You don't get constant requests to "upgrade to the paid system" like other free services.
- 6. Blogger allows you to build as MANY free websites as you need. Many services limit you to only two or only 5 websites.
- Blogger is perpetually changing their system which causes features to malfunction; resulting in confusion, frustration, and lost time.
- Automatic spam-detection software may delete your legitimate web page (due to problems with Spammers).
- Support is almost non-existent. You cannot call them nor email them. You post your problem in a public forum and pray that a 'forum monitor' forwards it to Blogger support.
A. More Information
C. Domain Names
- A1- Our Billtown Web Yahoo Group -- for people in the Williamsport Pa region, interested in building web pages
- A2- Webcogs Password Generator - use this site to generate stronger passwords (uses deliberately miss-spelled common word plus number, for better resistance to hacking).
- Non-Blogger Examples (Weebly, Yola, etc) (page 2B)
C. Domain Names
- About Domain Names (tab 4 above)
- C1- Configuring Domain Name for Registrar GoDaddy.com (better than forwarding, but just a bit more complicated)
- C2- Configuring Domain Name for Registrar 1and1.com (links goes to a 1and1 page)
- C3- Configuring Blogger to Work With Domain Name
- D1- The Wayback Machine - a website that archives websites
- E1- Other places to build a free website (Weebly, Yola, etc)
- E2- Some other Williamsport area web page developers
- E3- Billtown Web's Demonstration Websites
- P1- Press Release for Jan 2008 Presentation (& description for Oct 2008 talk)
- P2- Links to Workshop Notes